Please contribute any pictures or articles you have of Watchfield and events.
For a history of Watchfield please look at this link Watchfield Chronicle
Now called the High Street but used to be known as Shrivenham Road
Now called Chapel Hill but used to be known as Hill Road
Labelled the Chapel and Carter’s Cottage. This is taken from Oxford Square, looking up Chapel Hill. Note where 14 and 16 Chapel Hill are now there were allotments. Also from the Old Chapel downwards on the right hand side of Chapel Hill there are no houses.
View along Oak Road from Oxford Square. Not there are none of the in-fill houses present today. There were allotments where the bungalows are now.
The Church and School Watchfield
Labelled the Village, Watchfield. This is a view down Chapel Hill.
Oxford Square 1908
High Street 1909 – far left the Baker and Godfrey Grocer Shop which supplied coal, cornmeal and mormal requirements. Top right – Watchfield Post Office
The farm house and farm yard in Eagle Lane. Mr Harvey and his horse
Labelled Old Berks Hunt, Digging Out The Fox and Terrier at Little Coxwell. Mr Harvey
Mr Harvey, who had a farm house in Eagle Lane, ploughing.
Labelled Army manoeuvres. Lord Roberts with Lady Wantage near Watchfield.
Mr Curtis crowning the May Queen at the May Fayre (1980s)
Maypole dancing, May Fayre (1980s)
May Queen at the May Fayre on Watchfield Recreation Ground
May pole dancing, May Fayre (1980s)
Farm House Eagle Lane today
2 Oak Road
WATCHFIELD FREE FESTIVAL 1975
“Fourth People’s” Free Festival Arnham Camp, 1975, Watchfield
Front Cover of the event newspaper