Dog Fouling and Strays

The Vale of White Horse District Council is responsible for dog fouling, clearing dog mess and stray dogs. Dog mess can also be reported on

From the Vale of White Horse District Council website:-

Dog fouling

We take dog fouling very seriously as dog mess is not only unpleasant but it spreads diseases, which can cause illness and even blindness.

Under the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996 a person who is in charge of a dog must clean up after it when it fouls any footpath, highway, verge or other open space to which the public have access.  It is therefore a crime to allow a dog to foul in any public area without clearing it up.  Those that fail to do so could face a fixed penalty notice of £50 or prosecution.

If you see a dog owner allowing their dog to foul and not picking it up, take details of anything that might help us identify them and contact the council using the details below.

What is a stray dog?

A stray dog is any dog straying on public or other land.  It does not include a dog on its owners property, or on any other land where it has been allowed by the occupier or landowner.  It will also not include any dog under the charge of its keeper, even if it is not on a lead.

How do I report a stray dog?

If you need to report a stray dog in the council’s area, please telephone:

  • the council on 01235 540555, during office hours (8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Fridays).
  • the council’s out of hours emergency number 01235 524886 at other times when offices are closed.

If you found the dog in another district council’s area, you should contact the district council where you found the dog.  If the dog is causing a danger, such as running in traffic, you should contact the police.
Contact us
Environmental protection
01235 540555
Vale of White Horse District Council
Abbey House
Abbey Close
OX14 3JE